Sound the alarm. The redcoats are coming; the redcoats are coming. . This has nothing to do with Paul Revere’s famous midnight ride announcing the invasion of the English army. It’s a warning about the return of the pesky bed bugs, which had been eradicated in the United States in the mid 1900s.
Other names, besides redcoats, for this blood sucking pest include, mahogany flat, wall louse, crimson rambler, heavy dragoon, and chinche. Its formal name is Cimex lectularius, but most people simply call them bed bugs, since they tend to feed at night, while you are in bed.
They feed on the blood of warm blooded animals, but their favorites are humans, bats and poultry. Unlike some parasites, that are too small to see and that live within your skin, these bugs are small but visible, and they are usually on you, just long enough to get their fill of your blood, which is about five minutes.
Some people are saying that the banning of the pesticide, DDT, in the United States in 1972 is the reason for the return of this parasite. That argument does not hold up. The bugs started to reappear in the states in the mid to late ’90s. If it was DDT that was preventing them, why did it take 25 years?
More to the point, bed bugs are great are becoming resistant to pesticides, and DDT is a pesticide. Recently, a study in Africa, indicated that the main effect DDT had on them was to make them more active.
They feed on all their victims, but they only bite about half of them. Some people report a horrible itchiness, while others do not itch at all. The itch is created by an allergic reaction to the bugs saliva. These pests can live up to a year, without feeding.
A bed bug infestation can be psychologically traumatic for many people, sometimes bringing about depression. In severe and prolonged bout, it has been known to lead to refractory delusional parasitosis, where the individual thinks she is seeing and feeling them everywhere. She may become unable to function at tasks.
bed bugs have been found in 5 star hotels and in the nicest condominiums in New York City’s upper east side. Sometimes furniture needs to be thrown out to get rid of them. That is a good reason to never buy used furniture.
Facts and Details
- 1 Owners of all rental units (hotels, multi-family and single-family homes) shall ensure that all Managers, and property maintenance staff understand and comply with the Director’s Rules and Regulations for Prevention and Control of Bed Bug Infestation (Director’s Rules) (see DPH Environmental Health website).
- Infestations are not related to unsanitary living conditions.
- The appearance of bed bug bites depends upon the individual’s response to the bites.
- Bed bug bites (cimicosis) can cause itchiness, skin rashes and blisters.
- The itchiness and inflammation of the place intensify when scraped and it is one of the bed bug symptoms.
- Before the bed bug symptoms cross their limits and become a scary thing, it is best to get some pest control done.
- Three bumps in a row or grouped together indicate a single bed beg has inflicted several bites.
- Bed bug bitesare, essentially, the body’s allergic reaction to the toxins they secrete as anaesthetics.
- It is wise to train your entire housekeeping and maintenance service staff about bed bugs such that signs of infestation can be discovered early on before a bed bug infestation can grow to a significant and broad scale problem at your hotel.
- The first indication of a bed bug infestation is bed bug bites which can be inflicted on any part of the body, such as the neck, arms, face and hands that have been exposed during the night while sleeping.
- In addition to limiting the potential damages caused by a continuing bed bug problem, these actions will assist the property owner in defending itself against claims it failed to take reasonable steps in responding to the bed bug infestation.
Bed Bugs, a motorized frantic catch and capture game, will drive you buggy—just like it first did back in 1985! 48 Creepy, crawly bugs are hopping, leaping and jumping all over a shaking, quaking bed. Can you use your grabbing, snatching tongs to catch and capture them? For 2 to 4 players. Requires 2 “C” batteries, not included.Recommended Ages: 6 years & Up …
- Customer Reviews
- Bed Bugs, a motorized frantic catch and capture game, will drive you buggy—just like it first did back in 1985! 48 Creepy, crawly bugs are hopping, leaping and jumping all over a shaking, quaking bed. Can you use your grabbing, snatching tongs to catch and capture them? For 2 to 4 players. Requires 2 “C” batteries, not included.Recommended Ages: 6 years & Up …
- Why I have earned the right to write this book. My name is Scott Linde, and I’m a no B.S. type of guy. Born and raised in Brooklyn, New York, I was taught to give it to you straight, and that’s EXACTLY what I intend to do. I have been in the pest industry since 1988, and prior to 10 years ago, I had no clue what a bed bug was other than a thing you said at night time: “Sleep tight, don’t let …
- Customer Reviews
- Bed Bug Killing Steamer & Cleaner is a high pressure steam cleaner that liberates you from bed bugs and heavy housework. Bed Bug Killing Steamer & Cleaner is an effective tool for getting rid of bed bugs with a high temperature and pressure. Bed Bug Killing .Steamer & Cleaner offers high-temperature (140°C / 280°F) with high-pressure steam (58 psi) that kills bed bugs and their eggs on contac …