CBS News – Foggers, “Bug Bombs” Are no match for Bedbugs”
It appears the traditional ways of getting rid of bed bugs is no longer working! L
CBS News Says:
State University researchers tested three commercially sold foggers, Hot Shot, Spectracide, and Eliminator for the study, published in the June 3 issue of the Journal of Economic Entomology. After testing the brands on five different groups of live bedbugs for two hours, the scientists saw the foggers had little if any effect on the insects.
If you’re sleeping somewhere other than home, beware. Bedbug prevalence is on the rise, and hotels and motels are some of their favorite hangouts. Learn More
Fox News -Bedbugs hitching rides on Detroit buses, say drivers
The Detroit News reports that roughly 50 Detroit Department of Transportation (DDOT) drivers have said they’ve seen bedbugs on buses, and some have been bitten within the past year, according to Henry Gaffney, president of Amalgamated Transit Union Local 26.
WMCTV.com – Bed Bugs showing up in hospitals
Bed bugs invaded hotels across the nation last summer, but now the creepy crawly insects are moving into more sanitary quarters: hospitals.
Read more on WAFB Baton Rouge
Smell produced by young Bed Bugs repels other bed bugs. Bed bugs are an increasingly common pest that necessitates extensive decontamination of homes. However, researchers from Lund and Sundsvall in Sweden have now discovered that young bed bugs produce a smell that repels other bed bugs. It is hoped that these findings could contribute to more effective control of the blood-sucking insects.
ABC News -Top 50 Cities treated for Bed Bugs in the US in 2011
And the winner … is Cincinnati. Chicago is ranked second, followed by Detroit, Denver and Los Angeles. The report says L.A. moved from 25th to fifth on the list. Read more:
A spokes person from Rollins, a corporation that owns several pest control companies, says:
We have seen a 33.6 percent increase in bed bug business compared to 2010. The company has just released its rankings of U.S. cities in order of the number of bed bug treatments from January to December 2011.
3. Detroit (+1)
4. Denver (+2)
5. Los Angeles (+20)
6. Columbus, Ohio (-3)
7. Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas (+43)
8. Washington, D.C. (-3)
9. New York (-2)
10. Richmond/Petersburg, Va. (+6)
11. Houston (-1)
12. San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose, Calif. (+35)
13. Cleveland/Akron/Canton, Ohio (+1)
14. Boston (+4)
15. Dayton, Ohio (-7)
16. Las Vegas (-1)
17. Honolulu (+55)
18. Baltimore (-6)
19. Raleigh/Durham/Fayetteville, N.C. (+9)
20. Philadelphia (-9)
21. Atlanta (+24)
22. Lexington, Ky. (-13)
23. Syracuse, N.Y. (+25)
24. Miami/Fort Lauderdale, Fla. (+27)
25. Colorado Springs/Pueblo, Colo. (+19)
26. San Diego (+13)
27. Seattle/Tacoma, Wash. (-3)
28. Omaha, Neb. (-11)
29. Buffalo, N.Y. (-16)
30. Pittsburgh (-3)
31. Indianapolis (-12)
32. Milwaukee (+6)
33. Charlotte, N.C. (+13)
34. Phoenix (+19)
35. Louisville, Ky. (-3)
36. Hartford/New Haven, Conn. (-16)
37. Grand Junction/Montrose, Colo. (+30)
38. Knoxville, Tenn. (+4)
39. Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo/Battle Creek, Mich. (-17)
40. Nashville, Tenn. (+15)
41. Sacramento/Stockton/Modesto, Calif. (+24)
42. Des Moines/Ames, Iowa (-13)
43. Salisbury, Md. (+46)
44. Albany/Schenectady/Troy, N.Y. (-23)
45. Cedar Rapids/Waterloo, Iowa (-22)
46. Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minn. (-20)
47. Lincoln/Hastings/Kearney, Neb. (-17)
48. Salt Lake City (-8)
49. Charleston/Huntington, W.Va. (-13)
50. West Palm Beach/Ft. Pierce, Fla. (+6)
Bed Bugs Informational Video
Quote From UI Dorm Student
The University of Illinois says a student found bed bugs in a dorm room over the weekend, but school officials believe the problem was confined to a single room.Erin Ciciora is a spokeswoman for University Housing. She told The (Champaign)…
Read more on Jacksonville Journal-Courier
Additional Resources on Bed Bugs- Get the Facts:
Get started today with your Starter Kit! Kill bed bugs today with Dead Bed Bugs Non-Pesticidal Bed Bug Spray and Safer Diatomaceous earth. At under $32.00, you don’t need to break the bank to kill the bed bugs in your home or apartment. and get your life back. All these products are tested and proven to be 100% when killing bed bugs.
Bed Bug Informational Facts:
- While staying at an upscale $300-a-night Annapolis hotel this summer, Bender and his wife were attacked by bed bugs.
- Thoroughly de-clutter and clean all areas (bedding, couches, bed frames etc.) where you have been bitten by bed bugs.
- While the use of canine scent detection is both an exciting and promising method for the early detection of bed bugs, it is still an evolving technique and you should exercise caution when considering this method of detection to ensure that the detection service that you select is capable of delivering the level of service that you expect.
- If cluttered conditions persist, your pest management professional may only be able to reduce the number of bed bugs and never completely eliminate the problem.
- Whole houses and, in some cases, multi-unit structures are heated to temperatures well above those lethal to bed bugs, to help assure uniform heating of household contents.
- There are precautions that you must take in order to avoid or minimize your risk of coming into contact with bed bugs.
- Any time you’ve got a lot of people coming and going, there’s an increased risk that someone will carry a few bed bugs into the building.
- If you find yourself with an infestation, check out our Bed Bug Treatment page for a number of ways to kill bed bugs.
- Bedbugs prefer warm and humid conditions, and this is the main reason why they like to live in your bed. When bed bugs breed, it is a vicious process.
- Pesticides, including liquid and dust formulations, can be applied directly into cracks and crevices harboring bed bugs.